Sunday, November 04, 2007

Better Off Dead Review


This is considered a classic in the genre of 80s teen comedies. John Cusack (one of the only famous actors in this movie) is the star of this story of a young man who is obsessed with his girlfriend only to have her break up with him to date the champion snow skiier of the school. This movie is wacky, funny, and inventive so please don't rent this movie thinking it will be your typical romantic comedy. It has a sort of deadpan humor that I have a feeling would grow funnier the more I watch it. There is a mean paper boy that is always demanding 2 dollars, there is a sidekick friend who thinks that snow can be sold as drugs, and there is even claymation in this movie. I liked the movie, although I do think the humor appeals more to guys than girls. Although Chrystal watched it with me, I think she didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did. One of my favorite parts involves a scene with Barney Rubble (from the Flintstones). Any movie that can work Barney into the script definitely should be watched for creativity alone if nothing else. All in all, I would say this is an odd-but-funny teen comedy that is very quotable and that I would recommend. Just don't expect something extremely witty and intelligent.

No comments: