Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Jerry Maguire Review


Another movie that it took me some time to actually watch all the way through. I finally did after much coaxing from my wife, and was pretty impressed with this movie. As most probably know, it is the story of a sports agent who ends up hitting rock bottom and through the power of a dream and some loyal friends, decides to change his life. I guess this movie could pass as a romantic comedy, but it also has many other "just plain drama" moments. Unfortunately, it also has some things that detract from the morals and message (such as pre-marital sex, and quite a bit of foul language). The negative parts are unfortunate, because the acting is top-notch and some of the messages are really redemptive. A few things I liked about this movie were :
1. I won't go into how, but one of the strongest themes throughout the movie was the importance of sincere honesty when relating to others. Acting like nothing is wrong or refusing to say anything that might hurt or offend can actually hinder rather than help growth in life and character.
2. Another thing this movie shows was that sometimes you can't grow until you hit rock bottom. Jerry Maguire did hit rock bottom in this movie, and although he turned to alcohol and depression when unsure of the next steps, it did show that once he reached the end of of his abilities, it was the beginning of his career and life starting to take a turn in the up direction.
3. Many dialog lines that pop culture has picked up. Although I don't go around repeating "Show me the money!" (Cuba Gooding Jr.) or "help me to help you" (Tom Cruise), I admire the delivery and catchiness of some of the lines used in this movie.
All in all, this movie does have a redemptive finish and I found I thought the theme did reinforce some good points about life. Not a movie, in my top 10 list, but yet if you find it on TV (with edited content), I would recommend sitting through it to see what "Jerry Maguire" is all about.

No comments: