Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Rewrite Review

I don't like all romantic comedies.  Some of them come off way too cheesy and not worth the time I spend watching them. Chrystal feels a bit differently, so I go along with viewing them many times.  I have enjoyed movies with Hugh Grant such as Two Weeks Notice, Nine Months, and Notting Hill.  This one came out recently (with no rating) and seems to be launched by a more independent label, so I added it to the queue to see how it was.  My verdict:  Way better than I expected.

1. For one thing the script writing was actually witty and funny and not just sophomore humor with constant sexual-based jokes.  So refreshing to actually have a movie that delivers funny lines rather than rely on sexual humor to make it a comedy.

2. Second thing this movie had going well for it was the casting.  Marisa Tomei and Hugh Grant were very comfortable in their roles and they played each part exceptionally.   This movie clearly proved that Hugh Grant can still do witty comedy well and he carried the movie very well.  I thought this movie was significantly better than one of his last movies : Music & Lyrics.   I'm not sure why, but overall it just seemed to be better written movie and a lot funnier than Music & Lyrics.

3. Last but not least, deeper subject content than your average movie.  How many romantic comedies discuss meaning in life, the emptiness of fame, or the importance of restoring family relationships?  Exactly.  This movie deals with many themes that other movies don't even mention.

On a personal note this was one movie both my wife and I enjoyed.  It is not often we find a movie or show that we both enjoy viewing together.  Not that we are stark opposites on all our movie tastes,  but finding a good movie that we both enjoy watching together is always a plus.   The script was great, the acting very polished, and it was a funny enjoyable story to watch.  If you are looking for a better-than-average romantic comedy - maybe you should consider The Rewrite.

No comments: