Saturday, April 23, 2016

6 Books That Can Change Your Life

Reading is very powerful.  I titled this post 6 Books That Can Change Your Life but in all honesty any books that contain truth and are applied to your life can do that very thing.    I also want to note the following book CAN change your life but they won't if you don't put the principles in them into practice.  I love to read but applying what I read is an ongoing challenge in my life.  I also would like to state up front, that some of these books I have not read cover-to-cover, but just used parts of them to implement change in my life.  Here are the 6 titles and why I think they they made this list:


1.  The Bible by God

I have to start with this one.  If you've never picked up a Bible and read it, you really should give it a try.  This book has wisdom from the Creator on all subjects of life : marriage, eating, making wise choices, money, sex, parenting, and how to live life every day.   It is all contained in this Book of Books.   You can glean wisdom on all these topics from The Bible, but you won't get the most out of this unless you get to know the Author : The Lord Jesus Christ.   If this list contained only one book,  I would have to leave this one book on it.    Still a bestseller to this day and a major life-changer!

2. The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Money and managing money is a pretty big topic in anyone's life.  When your finances and debt is out of control, you can feel overwhelmed and not know how to change things for the better.  However, on the flip side when you are managing your money in an optimal way it frees you up to do the will of God and accomplish your goals and dreams in life.  Dave Ramsey has put together a classic book that will help anyone start managing their money better, get out of huge amounts of debt, and start finding financial freedom so that they can accomplish all they wish to.  I haven't read this book cover to cover, but I have read parts and have gone through his DVD course Financial Peace University with my wife, and I find most if not all of his principles very sound and helpful for gaining wisdom in day-to-day money management.    Financial freedom is something we all want, so if you feel that is an area in need of growth in your own life,  you may want to consider reading and applying The Total Money Makeover.


3. The Hour that Changes the World by Dick Eastman

Prayer is a key in any Christian's life and has the ability to change just about anything going on in your life if you are a born-again Christian and follow the Biblical guidelines for doing it.   In this book, Dick Eastman does a stellar job outlining the many aspects of prayer and showing any Christian a method that allows you to pray for one hour a day.  The beauty of prayer is that when done from the proper motives and heart, it not only can change circumstances, it can change yourself.  I have read quite a few books on prayer in my lifetime,  but this one stands out as one of the best ones I have read.  It is practical, wise, and contains some great material on how to maximize your time in prayer every day.  Praying effectively (which is Biblically) can definitely change your life. This book along with #1 above, can help you to do that.

4.  The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover and Jack Shepherd

This is a classic book in the field of running.  Establishing a habit of running can help you get fit, lose weight and stay healthy.  I love running so I wanted to put a classic book on the list that would establish this habit of exercise in someone's life.  I used to own this book and found it helpful to refer to as a reference.  This is one I haven't read from cover to cover, but it was good to have to stir the motivation and passion to run back up inside. Running can be invigorating and can really change your health and fitness levels for the better - so I'm placing this one as #4 on the list.  I realize running isn't for everyone, but if you are medically able (and find it fun to run), give running a try for several weeks and see if you see positive change in your overall health.  

Last Two are Biographical True Stories
True stories can be very powerful. While they may not be how-to books, they give you examples to try in your own life.   These next books are two that I found very motivational and powerful to read.

5. God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

This is the amazing true story of Brother Andrew and how he established a ministry of helping the persecuted church throughout the world.  If you think that being a Christian and following God's calling is boring, you should really pick up a copy of this book - Brother Andrew's life is nothing of the sort. What I liked about this book was how real Brother Andrew's relationship with Christ was shown and the miracles that happened in his life as he just following the Holy Spirit's leading.  This book also gave me a fresh look into the persecuted church in the world, and made me more grateful for the religious freedoms I enjoy in my country.   Definitely a powerful biography that makes you realize God is still doing miracles in His children's life.

 6. No Compromise : The Life Story of Keith Green by Melody Green and David Hazard

Keith Green died when I was little - but I know he had a powerful Christian music ministry up until his early death at the age of 28 years old.  This story is a well-written biography by his wife about how Jesus got a hold of this man and made him a burning testimony of God's love to a multitude of people.  This biography is so good, it almost reads like a novel.  The miracles and amazing stories of God's moving are all over this book.   It makes you realize that no life - no matter how short - is beyond the reach of God's saving power! Keith Green was an amazing musician and an on-fire Christian and reading his life story challenged me in my own walk with God.   This is another book to consider reading if you think that following Jesus means just attending church and living a boring life.  It clearly demonstrates through the true story of Keith Green, that following Jesus is an amazing adventure that will change your life.   Far from boring, this is one of the best biographies I have read.

How about you?  Any books you think should be on this list? Leave them in the comments.

1 comment:

Chrystal said...

Hi Hun, great idea to recommend so many quality books. I see that Twilight didn't make your list? I had almost forgotten about book #3. That made me want to re-read it.