Saturday, March 04, 2017

Life As A Mortal : A Review of Thor

I finally got around to watching this movie : Thor starring Chris Hemsworth as the main character.  I must confess I think Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins really helped the overall story.   Thor is the story of a cocky superhero who thinks the world revolves around him and his ego.  He gets a humbling lesson when he is thrown to earth for the purpose or realizing he needs to learn a few things.  Chrystal and I sat down and watched this story and overall we enjoyed it.  However, there are a few things we wished it did better,  here they are:

1.  More storyline about his adjustment to being a normal human - although there were some parts showing his challenge in adjusting to earth-life - we both thought there could have been more development in this part.

2. Definitely More Humor Would Have Been Nice - Thor didn't need to be a comedy, but humor is always welcome in strong and interesting stories.  Thor had a few moments of humor but could have been much funnier if they had chosen to write in more humor to the script and story.

3. Great Story Overall, but Probably Better if You Also Followed the Comics.  Neither me nor Chrystal follow the comics so we didn't know how far or close this was to the original comic book storyline.  Overall I thought it was a decent movie but probably no more than 3.5 stars out of 5.  I wish it got more overall, but it just wasn't as developed as I hoped in the almost 2 hour movie.   Did I feel it was a waste?  No, not that bad.  I just have seen better stories told in Ironman and Ironman 3 (I intentionally left out the dismal Ironman 2).    It was a good movie, and I don't think we wasted our time watching it - we just were hoping for a bit more.  Marvel has released so many quality stories it is hard to compete with all the different story-lines.  We still plan on watching the sequel however.

No comments: