Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Once-favorite movie

Do you ever have a favorite movie that you used to like, but find over time, it becomes less than you thought of it? I have. One movie I used to really think highly of was a movie called "Garden State". It is the story of a boy who is trying to find out who he is, and goes back to his home town to hang out with a bunch of his friends. He ends up finding that most of his friends are still addicted to drugs or basically just a bunch of losers and in the process tries to understand his father and falls in love with a girl who literally changes his life. At one point I felt that I sort of related, but after thinking more about it, I realize that this movie really portrays young adults as people who want to shrug off responsibility and live the life of a teenager with all the privileges of adulthood but none of the responsibility. It had some good points, like riches can make you feel empty and bored, but it also seemed to paint a sad picture of what young adults in America are trying to find - meaning in life. On top of that, it shows that many times they get stuck addicted to drugs, and in monotonous careers but few find the true value of loving another person. Fortunately the main character does eventually. It was at one time one of my favorite movies, but now - not so much.

1 comment:

luke middleton said...

I was disappointed with how the ending of the film came about. Left me feeling the rest of the ride there hadn't been worth it.