Monday, February 22, 2010

Knights of the South Bronx

I put this on my Netflix queue for obvious reasons for all who know me. 1. I love playing chess and have fun with playing a good game. 2. I like movies based on true stories that are inspirational. This movie was originally made for TV from what I understand and stars Ted Danson who becomes a substitute teacher in a NYC school and then ends up teaching his class the game of chess and helping them go to the multi-state championships. It was a good story, but I think it could have been made a little better. I thought Ted Danson did a decent job playing his part. Also all the kids acted pretty convincingly. However, compared to a movie like Searching for Bobby Fischer I think this movie lacked something. I'm not sure exactly what - it could have been character development or plot depth, but whatever it was - I didn't think it delivered as well as Searching for Bobby Fischer did. I recommend you see that movie before watching this one. This movie wasn't bad, it just was the lesser of the two chess movies.

No comments: