Wednesday, November 16, 2011

True Grit Review

Well it is time for a break from the burrito reviews to talk some movies.   I recently rented the True Grit movie remake that recently was released.   Although entertaining,  I found that it didn't quite live up to the hype surrounding this movie.   I first want to preface my review by stating that I do enjoy good western movies but am not a die-hard John Wayne fan.   I really enjoyed the recent movie 3:10 to Yuma that came out and was hoping that this western remake of True Grit was equally as good.  Unfortunately,  I didn't think it was as good as it could have been.   I like Jeff Bridges as an actor and I think he did a good job,  but unfortunately there were a couple scenes where he seemed to turn up his accent so thick or mumbled his lines so much that I had a hard time understanding him (and no,  I didn't turn on closed captioning).    Josh Brolin is a good actor but his part in this movie is so small it could almost be considered a cameo.   Matt Damon took on a different type of role for him and I feel delivered it well.   However,  overall I think the young girl (Hailee Steinfeld) gave one of the best performances in the movie.    Granted the script was mainly about her story,  yet she played her part very well and helped keep the story interesting with her convincing acting.   Having never seen the original movie all the way through,  I can't comment on how it compared,  but I did find the movie enjoyable to watch,  just not as great as I was expecting.   I would give this movie 3.5 stars out of 5.   

No comments: