Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Fight Club movie review

OK, it has been a while, some of the time of watching TV has been spent getting caught up in the TV show "Lost", but I finally rented a movie I want to comment on. "Fight Club" with Brad Pitt. I rented this movie knowing it had that very popular line : "The first rule of fight club is... don't talk about fight club." and was hoping for a thought provoking movie about men who learn about themselves while fighting each other. Instead, I saw a sort of confusing, artistic, yet disturbing movie about a man who feels so dead inside, he becomes unruly and crazy and begins to train a group of people to follow the same lifestyle. Watching this movie made you feel like life is a disoriented purpose-less and the only real thing worth doing is causing mayhem and fighting others to find release in life. This was a strange and artistic movie and left me feeling kind of down. I am afraid I can't recommend this movie for viewing. There is so much blood, gore, violence, bad language, and inappropriate scenes, that the cover art is very appropriate because it needs a good bar of soap to clean up the moral message of this film. I'm not saying that all movies have to have a happy ending, but I definitely think there could be a redemptive theme more prevalent in the movie. I mean even shows like "Lost" have a strand of hope that the people will be rescued (redemption). This movie can be summed up with one sentence:

We all struggle with our personal demons and long for true meaning in life - deal with it.

I don't believe that quest for true meaning needs to end the way this movie does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I wonder why some men will not ask for directions when they're lost. I also wonder why they watch an entire movie when they realize 1/2 way into it that it's not one they like at all. I guess it's the adventure of it all. Posted by an anonymous wife. LOL!!