Friday, March 09, 2007

Jack vs. Jack

Time to talk a little TV. I've been thinking about two popular TV shows and I thought I would share why I came to give up on 24, and have started to be hooked on LOST. I started out loving 24. Couldn't get enough of the show. Jack Bauer doing the impossible, risking his life and bending the rules for the greater good. What's not to like? That was for seasons 1, and 2. Then season 3. More of the same. People get killed, arms get chopped off to save other lives, and Bauer does the impossible once again. After season 4 the recipe started to wear thin. Jack continues to get totured and to torture others to prevent the world from ending. Hmmm, anyone tired of cliffhangers? So I gradually lost interest to the point where I don't continue keeping up on the show. It started out great in my opinion, but how long can an adrenaline-fest last before you begin to wonder how the next episode will go to great lengths to keep you in suspense?

Now to another Jack. Not Jack Bauer, but the Jack character in Lost who is a kind-hearted doctor who is always trying to do the right thing, yet struggles to resolve past issues with his dad on top on trying to survive on an abadoned island. But Lost is far from being all about Jack and Jack alone. I was gradually drawn into the flashbacks of all the characters in this show - Kate, Sawyer (did I spell that right?), Sahid, Locke, and don't forget Hurley. All coming from different backgrounds yet all contributing something to survival on a mysterious island. Some episodes are tense, some are intriguing, and some are just fun (like Hurley jump-starting a van and riding around for a good time) - but you really gain an appreciation for character development and for a well written storyline. Not that 24 is a bad series. It isn't. I just have been enjoying the complexity and character development of Lost so much more. I'll let Jack Bauer continue saving the world. I'm sure he'll be there tomorrow.

No comments: