Saturday, June 30, 2007



I rented this movie after hearing that it was a pretty big blockbuster. I didn't realize that the guy who directed Glory also directed this movie. In my opinion this is a very well acted, very well directed movie after the price people pay to mine diamonds in South Africa. Although it has some brutal parts, it really makes you think about the cost of getting bigger and bigger diamonds in the diamond industry. I don't know if it is all true, but I did really make you think even if part of it is true. DiCaprio is really an excellent actor and even though I wasn't thrilled with his image in Titantic, he has done a great job getting other roles to play in and acting well in everything he has been given. This movie is very moving and a sad tale of how materialism has become so prevalent in western society. It made me think in new ways about the concept of diamond engagement rings. Some of the movie did seem to almost be too strong and almost preachy, but all in all I think it was an exceptional performance, and a movie that is worth watching. Very action-packed, but also moving, much like the movie Glory which is also directed by the same man. Recommended.

No comments: