Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ant-Man Review

I had to see this movie.  I was a bit skeptical about it since I'm starting to tire of Marvel movies, and with a name like "Ant-Man" I didn't have very high hopes for a noteworthy movie.  However, that being said - I was pleasantly surprised.  Paul Rudd is the new select person to be "Ant-Man" due to Michael Douglas' character wanting to pass on the responsibilities of the super suit to a new person.   Evangeline Lilly also plays in this which I was pleasantly surprised to learn since I have seen very little that she is in since the days of the "LOST" TV show where she played Kate.  

Why Is This Movie Better Than Average? 

Great kick-off story introducing the character, good special effects, and believable acting.  Good use of humor (doesn't take itself too seriously) as well as a plot that doesn't feel recycled.  All that rolled together could make another hit movie series for the Marvel studios.   Just when I think they have run out of ideas, they launch another superhero movie that has all the potential of this one.  Paul Rudd was a great selection for the part (who doesn't like Paul Rudd?), and Michael Douglas also does a fantastic job as the wise older man in the part he plays.  Plus if you watch all the way past the end credits,  you can see that the movie studios have more in store for this story.   If you haven't seen it yet,  I give two thumbs up to the movie "Ant-Man".   I guess the only thing that could make it better would be a better superhero name than "Ant-Man".  This name sounds anything but intimidating.   This name sounds like if you aren't careful where you step the superhero will be a smashed bug.  Doesn't really bring the same feelings as a name like "Superman" does, but for whatever reason Marvel thought "Ant-Man" would be a great superhero name.  It does fit his capabilities so I will give it that.  I also have to hand it to the director and script writer for not just making this a special effects extravaganza which is so easy to do in this day and age.    This movie has heart, an actual plot and a lot of potential for more good stories with the characters introduced in this movie.

No comments: