Sunday, February 28, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy Review

OK, after watching Ant-Man and liking it,  I decided to give this movie a shot - since I like superhero movies that don't take themselves too seriously.  Unfortunately I must not have been the target audience for this movie.  I liked Chris Pratt in the Jurassic World movie, and don't blame him for this movie's outcome.  However, the characters, script and humor just didn't deliver for me in this movie.  Here are my reasons for giving this movie an abysmal review:

1. I fell asleep half-way into the movie.  Not good - since I rarely fall asleep watching movies - unless they are really not that interesting or I am extremely sleep-deprived.
2.  Humor hardly funny.   It seems that a talking raccoon and a tree alien that only says like one sentence in the whole movie has someone cracking up.  It wasn't me.  The humor is a bit off-color and weird.  Not what you expect from a movie with talking animals.  If you make a movie geared at kids, it is my opinion you should keep the humor kid-friendly.  This movie script seemed to want adult humor mixed with childish characters.  Seems like that is the trend lately (like in movies similar to Ted and Ted 2) but I'm not a fan of that combination.
3. Confusing Plot - Ok maybe some of this is related to #1 above,  but I didn't find the plot that engaging or easy to follow.
4.  Expectations Set Way Too High - I admit after reading and researching this movie - I was expecting more - a lot more.  It could be that my expectations were too high - but after watching and enjoying the recent Marvel movie Ant-Man - I thought this would be a similar hit.   The two movies are so different the only thing they really have in common is that they are both done by Marvel Studios.
Botton Line:  A lot of people love this movie.  I guess I'm not your average reviewer since I found it left so much to be desired.  I wish I had 120 minutes of my life back after this one.  You have been warned.

No comments: