Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Different Type of Comedy : A Review of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Ben Stiller hasn't done a whole lot of movies recently (other than Zoolander 2), but he recently came
out with this movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  This is kind of a different movie in the comedy department.  It doesn't revolve around sophomore humor (a definite plus in my book),  and I wouldn't call it intensely witty either.  Instead it revolves around an outlandish plot and awkward humor like you would witness in The Office TV show.   However, despite that set-apart trait, it does seem to work.  I recently found out this movie is a remake of a movie that came out with Danny Kaye with the same name.  I have not watched the older version,  so I can't contrast this one with that version.  Ben Stiller does play a convincing part, and the story works.  Here is what I liked about The Secret Life of Walter Mitty:

1. Funny story about a guy who wants to live another life.  Many people fantasize about another life with different circumstances.  This movie appears to play the "what if?" line out in Walter Mitty's own life as he nurses kind of an alter-ego to be someone unlike his normal day-to-day self.

2. A comedy that is funny but doesn't rely on dirty jokes to make it that way.  Too many comedies today have to add off-color humor and situations to make it a comedy.  The Secret Life of Walter Mitty doesn't do that.  It is still a very funny movie that doesn't cross the line into adult humor.  Since I've never seen the Danny Kaye version I don't know if that is the case in his version of the movie, but my guess is that Ben Stiller kept that part faithful to the original movie of the same name.

Here is what could have been better:

A. More witty humor lines, and less dependence on situational comedy scenes.  Ben Stiller has the ability to deliver a good line, so I wish there were more humorous lines and less dependence on funny scenes.  The funny scenes didn't distract from the story though,  I would have just preferred a wittier script for the comedy.  Maybe I'm expecting too much for what this movie tries to be though.

B. Less "crazy stupid" parts in the movie.  There is one scene in particular that I wonder if it went a little too far in the "crazy" direction (those who have seen this will know when I mention this scene also involves a Brad Pitt movie theme) - but I guess it is matter of taste.  When funny movies go too nutty they can either make you bust your gut laughing, or leave you scratching your head as to why that part even got approved to stay in the movie.    I guess I felt more of the latter on some parts of this movie.

Most of Ben Stiller's movie I have found to be funny.  This one is no exception.  I thought it was well acted, directed, and still a funny movie to enjoy with the whole family.  If you want to know what The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is really about,  I recommend checking this one out.

No comments: