Sunday, May 08, 2016

The Money Pit Review

The Money Pit was on Netflix instant, and so since I know a little about how homes can run you a lot of money - decided to see what this one was all about.  I generally like Tom Hanks in much of his work, but this one just did not have me laughing that much.

This movie is about as funny as actually buying a money pit house (which isn't funny at all).   Hard to believe that Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks had their names on this movie.  The gags were over the top and kind of ridiculous.  The humor was mainly slapstick with very little witty dialog at all.   There were some funny scenes with collapsing housing, but after 2 or 3 scenes of collapsing structures, you start to look at your watch and wonder how long the writers can keep this up.   Also I didn't really feel that Shelley Long and Tom Hanks had that much chemistry on screen.  Granted it was a comedy,  but as a couple they didn't really have me convinced that they loved each other much at all.

Sadly I think this movie could have been better, but kind of failed in the screenwriting department.  The actors/actresses tried to make the material funny, but it just didn't come off as a winner in the romantic comedy (or even the comedy genre for that matter) department.

The good news:  Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks work together on much better projects in the future (Saving Private Ryan and Bridge of Spies come to mind).  This movie was a waste of my time, but thankfully some of the others movies that Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Hanks work on together do not get that same vote from me.   I would give this 1.5 stars out of 5.   Save your time and work on a real house project.  It may turn out to be more fun than viewing this movie.

No comments: