Saturday, October 16, 2010

Amazing Grace Review

This movie came out in 2006 and is a historic drama about the man William Wilberforce.   I had heard a little about this man growing up and was interested to see what Hollywood did with his story.  Overall,  I think they made a good period piece that didn't exclude things like William's faith which made him the man he was throughout history.   The acting in this movie is well done,  and although it isn't incredibly fast-paced as far as a story (few historic dramas can be),  it did deliver what it was intended to do which is give the biography of an astounding man who worked in England to abolish slavery.  I don't know if it is true or not but it shows several scenes of William interacting with John Newton.  If that is historically accurate it is news to me.   John Newton wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace" and used to be slave ship sailor before he became a Christian and changed his life.     I wasn't aware that he knew William Wilberforce,  but that is an informative fact if the movie wasn't taking historic liberties.    I thought this movie was well-done and showed the dedication of Mr. Wilberforce to overthrow slavery in England.   I would give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.  Worth a watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. It used to be about the faith. But Hollywood's changed man. They've changed.