Saturday, December 01, 2007

Bobby Review



The movie "Bobby" recently came out and featured many famous actors, so I decided to see how it was. It is a two hour movie that features many, many famous actors and actresses and my guess is that it was trying to show how life was being lived around the time of Robert Kennedy. However, that being said, Chrystal made a good point - that there are so many famous actors and actresses that it is "almost distracting" . I have to agree, a lot of talent stars in this movie, but after the show you really have to wonder if any star really "shines through" in a performance like this. To me there seemed to be too much background story revolving around life in the famous hotel where Robert Kennedy was shot, and not enough biographic story of Robert Kennedy. Of course, that may be what the director was trying to achieve, but I just had a sense that there was too much going on, and never really got involved in any one of the story lines throughout the movie. Due to the large number of story threads in this movie, you kind of feel like this movie is trying to go into too many directions at one time. All in all, the acting was very well done, but I would have preferred a movie that centered more on the life of Robert Kennedy and less on the lives of those at the hotel - afterall I am watching a movie called "Bobby". I would give this movie one thumb up, but probably not worthy of two thumbs up in my opinion. Definitely don't rent this movie if you are looking for a historical biography sketch of Robert Kennedy.

What I have been reading lately....

I have also been doing some reading since reading and watching movies are two of my most time-consuming hobbies. The book I'm reading currently is a very insightful and motivating book on prayer titled Destined For the Throne by Paul Billheimer. I am on my second reading of this book, due to how good and deep this work is. It isn't very long, but the author is really writing about something that is close to his heart, and you can sense that he isn't writing about something he doesn't practice himself. I do enjoy reading books on prayer, maybe because I recognize how little I do of true praying - I'm not sure. This book has principles that are worth re-reading and that really help true Christians understand in a deeper sense what role prayer plays in bringing God's Kingdom to Earth. Since I am on my second reading, I highly recommend you read a copy of this great book.

No comments: