Monday, October 06, 2008

Wild Hogs Review

I watched this movie last weekend and found it pretty amusing for a "buddy flick". The basic story is that four guys who's lives are falling apart, decide to take to the open road and go on a motorcycle road trip to feel "young and wild" again. One of the guys is a complete wimp at home and always has the last word of "yes ma'am" to everything his wife tells him. The other guys is an unfulfilled dentist who can't seem to connect with his son. The third guy (John Travolta's character) is a wealthy guy whose model wife is leaving him and filing for divorce, and the fourth guy is a geek who never married and has trouble initiating relationships with women. Overall there are many funny parts to this movie, and Chrystal and I both agreed that the 4 main actors do a good job of not stealing the show from each other. However, that being said, please don't watch this movie thinking it will be a classic movie for the whole family to enjoy. Their seems to be quite bit of off-color humor throughout, and although that wasn't played out in every scene, there was still too much for me to deem this a "family film". That being said : what do I think about the moral of the story? Well basically it was be honest with your spouse and take to the open road when you need to feel like a man and ride a motorcycle. Not sure I agree that the motorcycle is the best way to express your masculinity, and I definitely found the family solutions offered in the end as shallow and way too easy to solve to resemble any real life situation. That being said, as long as you don't seek deeper truth for how to be a real man in the real world, you will probably enjoy this movie with four very talented actors.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Very off-color I think! I saw some of this movie at my gym - it was so bad I had to move to another treadmill.

Anonymous said...

It was strange watching this with you and my Dad. It's like a "buddy film" aka chick flick for guys according to J.Heath.