Sunday, January 17, 2016

Fast & Furious 6 Review (warning : contains spoilers)

OK, I realize I recently reviewed the movie Furious 7,  but since Fast & Furious 6 was about the only one I hadn't seen so I decided to rent it and review it to complete the entire series.

This story has the Fast & Furious team working for the good guys (always including "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson) against some evil international team that have equivalent talent and want to get their hands on dangerous government technology.  Sound familiar? It should - most of these types of movies have some sort of similar plot.   This movie really revolves around Letty (Dom's old girlfriend) who was assumed dead in prior movies, but now appears to have been merely given a case of amnesia to bring her back into the series.

I have to say - this episode in the series was not my favorite.  Although they tried to up the adventure and excitement with live tanks and aircraft, it didn't seem to have as much character development and heart as Furious 7.  Unless you are counting the whole Letty finding out her true identity as the main character development which the movie spends an ample amount of time on.  I started to tire of all the stunts and wisecracks.  The stunts were well-done just kind of over-the-top.  How is this different from other movies in the series?  I don't know - but it was.  There was one stunt where Letty and Dom fly through the air over a bridge, catch each other in midair and safely land on another car without a scratch. RIGHT.  That sort of stuff happens all the time over tall bridges.

One positive I liked about the movie is the acknowledgement of prayer before the meals as a group tradition in this movie.  My only problem is that that the gang seems to utter four-letter curse words whenever they are in danger, but when things all pan out in the end - they make time for thanking God?  Seems a bit inconsistent.  I would think they should be praying during the tough times as well as thanking God for the good times,  but the fact that they thank God at all is refreshing to see in any Hollywood movie.

Another issue I have is with Dom's love life.  He is seriously dating a new girl (thinking Letty is dead) but when he finds out Letty may actually be alive - his new girlfriend has no problem with him looking for her, and returning to Letty with hardly a second thought.  Seems like some poor writing got included in this part.  I highly doubt a serious girlfriend would encourage and be fine with allowing her boyfriend to look for and return to his ex-girlfriend without any sort of emotional toll taken.  She barely acted like she would miss him if he were to return to Letty.  Either that or she was really not in love with Dom at all.  Love seems kind of cheap in these movies at times.

So to sum up : I'm going to rate the 7 Fast & Furious movies in the order that I like them with the first being my favorite.

1. The Fast and the Furious (1st is always hard to beat)
2. Fast & Furious (4th in the series - loved the ending)
3. Furious 7 (great final movie to the series with a lot of heart)
4. Fast 5 (good intro of "The Rock")
5. Fast & Furious 6 (enough said)
6. 2 Fast 2 Furious (weak sequel in my opinion)
7. The Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift

So that is my official ratings of the entire movie series.  While they probably aren't going to win any Academy Awards,  they are fun movies about fast cars that can be enjoyable.

No comments: