Tuesday, January 26, 2016

War Room review

After watching Fireproof and Courageous I thought I would rent the newest movie by the Kendrick brothers: War Room.  This movie has received quite a bit good press and even on Netflix it was getting 4.5 stars out of 5.   This movie is basically the story about a nominal Christian woman who meets an older Christian woman and learns how to really pray.  It effectively shows that many of life's battles can be found through prayer and was refreshingly Biblical as it talked about different themes like the power of Jesus' name, and how prayer can cause God to work in a marriage.

I've seen many of the Kendrick brother movies, and it is really cool to see that their production values keep getting higher and higher as each new movie is released and they continue to be profitable and effective.   This movie does not disappoint.  The story isn't boring (although at parts I wondered how much further it was going to go), the acting is well done and convincing and the message is a home-run for truth.    I know some reviewers have bashed this movie for showing an inaccurate view of Christian prayer.  I disagree.  The one article I read that seemed to bash this movie,  seemed more to be controversial for controversy sake rather than really making strong points against this movie or its message.  The bottom line : prayer to Jesus Christ does work when it is according to God's Word and many times miracles result.  Do all prayers get answered?  That is a complicated question but should not be a deterrent to taking God at His Word and praying while believing Him for your answer.

Overall I would give this movie 4 stars out of 5.  Why would I give it 4 instead of 5?  Mainly the constant use of crying in many scenes.  I'm not against tear-jerking movies,  but when characters are crying to emotional music in every other scene of the movie - it seemed a bit much.  Crying is a legit emotion I just think the writing in this movie may have used it a bit more than realistically happens.  I could be wrong - but that is why I give this 4 stars out of 5.   Great movie that has a very encouraging message.  Rent it and see.

No comments: