Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Theory of Everything Review

This movie is all about the famous scientist Stephen Hawking and his wonderful wife.  I knew a little about Stephen before I watched this movie,  but not a whole lot. The movie shows the struggles he and his wife had staying married while at the same time dealing with Stephen's diagnosis of Lou Gehrig's Disease. It was fascinating to see his life unfold and how he managed to stay sane throughout all the trials that came on his family.

I thought Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne both did a great job playing their respective parts.  It was interesting to see the dynamics between Jane Hawking who was of strong Christian faith, and Stephen Hawking who is and continues to be an atheist.  I was puzzled at first why Stephen Hawking was so resistant to believing in God, but as I watched more of the movie, I believe it helped me to see why he chose to remain an atheist.  While I adamantly disagree with his choice to doubt that God exists or that we should believe in His Son Jesus Christ for salvation,  I also recognize that repentance from sin is required for true faith to take root in a person.  Stephen Hawking seemed to not only reject a belief in God,  he also rejected the standards set forth in the Word of God and as far as I know still remains an atheist.   Mrs. Hawking carried on her faith as a Christian as far as I know (until the end of the movie at least).

I wanted to watch this movie as a tribute to how love can conquer the most challenging medical conditions.  I wanted to root for the two of them staying together.  Unfortunately, things didn't turn out that rosy in real life.  Despite staying married for over 29 years, divorce ends up occurring between them. I don't consider this a spoiler to the movie because anyone can confirm that on wikipedia since this is a real life story.  The acting in the story was great, and it definitely helped me understand more about the fascinating stories of Stephen Hawking and his then wife : Jane.   Just don't expect an incredible fairy-tale ending at the conclusion of the movie,  because this is a true story after all.

No comments: