Sunday, January 03, 2016

New Years Resolutions : Worth making?

Well 2016 is upon us and it is the time when many men and women make a resolution to change something in their life.   Have I?  This year I have not.  I would like to lose some weight but avoided making any hard fast resolutions since I want my diet/exercise lifestyle to stick and I find New Years resolutions generally don't stick around much in my life.  I find that most people I have discussed this with focus on eating more healthy or hitting the gym more often in the coming year.  Some Christian friends may resolve to read the Bible through in one year.  All good goals and beneficial on many levels.  Here is my small case against New Years resolutions - and what to do instead:

1. New Years resolutions generally fall off by February and definitely by March thus feeding discouragement.

2. New Years resolutions can fall into tradition rather than true desire for change.

3. New Years resolutions encourage the false idea that the new year is the only time for meaningful change in your life.  Why not start something worthwhile in February, March or May?  

If you are serious about changing something in your life,  today is the best time to start that.  Not yesterday, not tomorrow, and not January 1, 2016 or 2017.   If you are relying on will power alone,  you have a hard journey for change.  I find that prayer to God Almighty and a strong social support group (such as a church) really help true change to come about in any life.  I'm not against making positive change,  I am against feeding into a tradition that discourages rather than encourages people to make lasting change in their life.  Happy New Year everyone.

No comments: